Alabama has some of the most beautiful country on Earth, and even its cities can be counted among some of the greats. As Alabama’s capital city, Montgomery is home to nearly 200,000 people, and its popular roads see millions of cars and commercial trucks across them every year.
Sadly, all that traffic leads to an increased risk of big-truck accidents—and because a tractor-trailer can weigh over 33,000 pounds or over 8 times more than a passenger vehicle, they can cause much more damage in a collision. In fact, of the over 5,000 fatal truck accidents in 2019, 70% of the fatalities occurred in the other vehicle.
If you or a loved one have suffered injuries from an 18-wheeler wreck, you could be entitled to the compensation you need to pay your mounting medical bills, account for your lost wages, and help you heal and move on with your life.
Types of 18-wheeler Accidents
Legally, commercial or big truck accidents are classed as those in which one vehicle weighs over 33,000 pounds. However, vehicles fitting this criterion come in several shapes and styles: the class includes everything from work vans, to large RVs, to tractor-trailers. Because of this variety in size and shape, there is a variety of big rig collision types:
- Jackknifing is when a truck’s trailer swings widely out of control, making the rig resemble a folded jackknife.
- Rollover accidents occur when a truck tips over on its side. These are more common in trucks due to their higher center of mass.
- With 18 tires, it’s more likely that one of them will experience a tire blowout, come loose, and become a hazard for others on the road.
- Oftentimes, trucks make wide turns, sometimes without checking the space around them to make sure they have room.
- Rear-end collisions occur because trucks take much longer to slow to a stop than passenger cars. These can also be more dangerous when a truck rear-ends a car due to the truck’s much greater mass.
Each of these accidents has the potential to cause extreme injury, and in the worst cases, death. If you’ve been hit by a truck around Montgomery, you need an Alabama personal injury lawyer with experience in truck accident injury cases. Andy Citrin Injury Attorneys have helped hundreds of clients over the years, so we know how to approach your case.
What to Do After a Montgomery Truck Accident
After being in a collision with a 30,000-pound big rig, you could be scared, confused, and hurting. Your main concern should be your safety and your passengers, but once you have those secured, remember the following steps:
- Call 911 for medical attention, and for the police report generated by the officer at the scene. Make sure to get a copy of the police report.
- Document the scene yourself, including taking pictures of the area, damages to your vehicle, and injuries to yourself or your passengers.
- Get medical attention, because you could be gravely injured without side effects for days or even weeks. You’ll also want a copy of the doctor’s report of your injuries.
- Keep track of all paperwork and other documentation related to your accident, because it will serve as important evidence in your personal injury claim.
- Call an experienced personal injury lawyer at Andy Citrin Injury Attorneys. We’ll listen to your story, review your evidence, and advise you on your next steps.
What Causes Alabama Truck Accidents?
While driving a truck can be a rewarding and profitable endeavor, it often requires long hours behind the wheel to make delivery deadlines. There are federal limits on the number of consecutive hours truckers can spend behind the wheel, but sometimes a driver will fudge their numbers to get an important shipment to its destination.
Even when following the law, truck drivers can be overworked, which leads to an increased chance of causing an accident. Causes of a big truck accident can include:
- Driver fatigue -caused by a lack of rest
- Improper maintenance – caused by a failure to properly service the vehicle
- Improper cargo management – improperly loading or overloading the trailer
- Failure to follow traffic laws – such as speeding, driving distracted or under the influence of drugs, or other behaviors.
If you’ve been involved in an accident with an 18-wheeler, you should retain an accident lawyer as soon as possible—the trucking and insurance companies certainly mobilize their team of experts immediately if one of their big trucks is involved in a motor vehicle accident. Andy Citrin Injury Attorneys have the experience and the drive to fight for your rights against the trucking company and their big insurance companies which are concerned with keeping profits in their pockets. Make sure to contact our team of attorneys to find out your legal rights.
Consult Montgomery Truck Accident Attorney Near Me
If you or a loved one has been injured, you deserve compensation for your injuries, lost wages, and mental stress. Call Andy Citrin Injury Attorneys at 228-888-8888 today for a free legal consultation. We’re here to help Montgomery drivers get back on their feet after a big rig accident.
With over three decades of experience, a Montgomery Truck Accident Attorney from Andy Citrin Injury Attorneys will provide honest legal support and guidance to you. We understand how overwhelming the aftermath of a semi-truck accident can be, especially if you’re severely injured. You do not need to experience the stress of medical bills and complex legal processes alone, contact us today to help with your personal injury.
If you or a loved one has been injured or killed due to the negligence of a Montgomery truck driver and are battling with trucking companies and insurers, give us a call today for a free consultation. We believe that no one should go through this alone. An 18-wheeler accident attorney from Andy Citrin has the expertise for our Montgomery clients, you can find us in the following communities across Alabama and Mississippi:
- Mobile Truck Accident Lawyer
- Foley Truck Accident Lawyer
- Daphne Truck Accident Lawyer
- Pascagoula Truck Accident Lawyer
- Biloxi Truck Accident Lawyer
- Montgomery Truck Accident Lawyer