According to the IIHS, in 2019, there were 21.6 fatal motor vehicle crashes per 100,000 people in the Magnolia state, the second-most in the entire nation.
Indeed, a comparison of the last 10 years of reported motor vehicle deaths from the NSC shows that Mississippi roads have regularly claimed a higher percentage of the population than any other state.
Clearly, other motorists are a real hazard on our rural roads and highways, and the effects of an accident can extend well past the collision itself.
If you or someone you love has been the victim of a car crash in Mississippi, you need a car accident lawyer who knows the law and will fight for you against the insurance companies.
The team at Andy Citrin Injury Attorneys are those kinds of auto injury lawyers, with the legal expertise and dogged determination to get you the compensation you deserve. Call or text 228-888-8888 or fill out an evaluation form online and receive a free consultation about your case.
What to do After a Mississippi Car Accident
Car crashes begin and end in the blink of an eye, and can be one of the worst events many residents of Mississippi will ever have to experience.
The minutes and hours after a collision are extremely important when it comes to determining just what happened and why, which can affect the results of a subsequent auto injury case.
If you have been in a car wreck, there are a few things you should, and shouldn’t, do:
- Get yourself and everyone else to safety. This means away from the vehicles and to a protected area far from the flow of traffic.
- Call 911. The police will secure the area, provide assistance, document the scene, and take statements.
- Document everything you can. If you can, take photos or video, which might prove very useful later on.
- Get the insurance and information of the other driver. Important things to collect are their name, phone number, address, driver’s license number, and license plate number, as well as the insurance company name and policy number. Then, call your own insurance agency right away.
- Don’t discuss the details of the accident with anyone except your lawyer. A good car injury attorney will let you know what is safe to discuss with friends and family and when. Listen to them. They are there to help you.
- Visit your doctor for a medical evaluation. Not only can they make sure you do not have any undiscovered injuries, but the evaluation itself may also be critical to making your case.
- Keep all medical and repair bills. If you are able to reach a settlement or win your case, your compensation will likely be based on your bills, so having proper documentation will only work in your favor. Make sure to share them with your car accident lawyer.
Types of Compensation You Can Get After a Car Accident
Mississippi is what is known as an at-fault, or tort state. This means that when there is a car accident in Biloxi, the driver that caused the accident is liable to pay the ensuing costs of the driver they hit, via their insurance company.
Determining who is at fault is very important in Mississippi car accident cases, and is typically decided by the police and insurance companies. If you or a loved one have been in an auto wreck caused by the other driver’s negligence, the following things may be considered when determining your settlement:
- Losses resulting from the death of a family member. In the unfortunate event that a loved one dies as a result of a car crash, you may be entitled to compensation for the loss in income, funeral expenses, and more.
- Lost income resulting from the accident. This can be lost wages from time away from work during recovery, as well as a reduced earning capacity due to injuries resulting from the accident.
- Immediate medical expenses. This includes things such as an ambulance ride, emergency room visit, surgery, and medication.
- Future medical expenses and/or rehabilitation costs. This includes physical therapy, long-term medical devices, psychological treatment, and other specialized services.
- Repair costs for your vehicle. Or the cost to replace your vehicle if it was totaled
How Long Do You Have to File a Claim in Mississippi?
You have three years from the day of the accident to file a car accident claim in Mississippi. Beyond this date, the courts will not recognize a victim’s right to seek compensation. It is always best to contact a car injury attorney as soon as you think you may need one. The more time they have to build your case, the better chances you will have to get compensated fairly.
Let Us Help You – Contact Our Mississippi Car Accident Attorneys Today
A car crash can change your life in an instant. Afterward, your energy should be spent on healing and moving forward, not on worrying whether or not the insurance company is cheating you.
The car accident lawyers at Andy Citrin Injury Attorneys are here to make sure you don’t have to, and to ensure that you get the compensation you deserve! Our Pascagoula car accident law office is conveniently located near Biloxi, Mississippi. Give us a call today to see how we can help.
Mississippi Car Accident FAQ
How Much Can I Expect From My Mississippi Car Accident Injury Case?
Every car crash is different, so every car crash injury case is different, too. As a result, total settlements can vary widely. A variety of factors, from the severity of the wreck to any amount of shared fault, can affect the amount of compensation. An experienced auto injury attorney will likely be able to give you a fairly reliable estimate when presented with the details of your particular case.
How is it Determined Who is ‘At Fault’?
‘Fault’ is decided by the police, insurance companies, and rarely, the court. Initially, the police responding to the scene will make a determination of what happened and who was at fault, and they will put it in their report, which insurance companies rely heavily on when making their own decision.
Disputes very seldom go to court but do have the potential to be seen by a jury. It is important to note that Mississippi allows the court to award damages to either party adjusted according to their respective share of fault for the incident, a legal approach known as ‘pure comparative negligence.’
What Kinds of Damages can Result From a Mississippi Car Accident?
There are two types of damages in the eyes of the law, special damages and general damages. Special damages include things that have a tangible cost or price, like a medical bill or the cost to replace your car. General damages refer to things that cannot be calculated, such as emotional pain and suffering or loss of way of life. Both types can be taken into account when determining compensation.
Should I Get a Mississippi Car Accident Lawyer?
In the event of a car accident, you should always contact an experienced lawyer as soon as possible, and that applies to any situation where you or a loved one is injured or killed due to the negligence of another. Especially in states like Mississippi that have complicated practices surrounding who is entitled to compensation after a car wreck, an attorney who knows their way around the legal obstacle course is essential.
Andy Citrin Injury Attorneys knows Mississippi car accident law, with over thirty-five years of experience with auto collision cases. Our office serving the Biloxi and Pascagoula area has dealt with the insurance companies and the courts, as well as the people that make them up, and we have the experience to help you get a fair settlement. Give us a call at 228-888-8888 or contact us online, and get a free consultation on your case today.