Tips to Avoid Drunk Driving AccidentsDecember 02, 2013
Last night marked the start of this year’s football season. Regardless of the team you root for, the season inevitable means tailgate and game-watching parties will soon follow, many of which involve some form of alcohol consumption.
At the Citrin Law Firm, we want you to stay safe this football season by planning ahead. By following these tips, you are less likely to be involved in or to cause a drunk driving accident.
When Drinking Alcohol
- Appoint a designated driver. The best way to avoid causing a drunk driving accident is to not get behind the wheel while under the influence.
- Call a taxi. If no one is available to be the designated driver, call a taxi. The expense of taking a cab far outweighs the cost of DUI on your driving record (and possible jail time).
- Be responsible.
When Throwing a Party
- Serve non-alcoholic beverage options. Make sure to give your guests plenty of alternatives to alcohol. Never force a guest to drink if they don’t want to.
- Before the party ends, stop serving alcohol. Give party-goers at least an hour without alcohol before they leave, if possible.
- Serve food. Having food in the stomach can slow the rate of alcohol consumption.
- Arrange for alternative transportation if someone seems to have had too much to drink. Call a cab, arrange a ride with a sober driver or offer a couch for them to crash on. Don’t be afraid to hide someone’s car keys.
Detecting a Drunk Driver Sharing the Road
According to law enforcement officials, the following signs could indicate that another driver is operating their vehicle while under the influence:
- Making wide turns
- Nearly missing hitting another vehicle or object
- Driving at extremely slow speeds
- Erratic braking
- Abrupt or illegal turning
- Driving after dark without headlights on
- Slow response times to traffic signals
- Sudden stopping without cause
- Driving on the wrong side of the road
- Weaving, swerving, drifting or straddling the center line
Contact Us, Andy is Ready to Win for You
OUR PROMISE TO OUR CLIENTS: YOU WON’T PAY A DIME UNTIL WE WIN
We Know How Stressful Serious Accidents Can Be
Our law firm supports its clients at every step of the way. We handle the details of your legal claims and make sure you have the information you need to make the best choice for your family and your future.
Getting Injured People the Help They Need After a Serious Accident