Teen Driver FatalityDecember 02, 2013
A 19-year-old from Mobile was killed in a one-vehicle accident in Gulf Shores on Sunday. The teen was killed just after 6pm in a crash near the six-mile marker on Fort Morgan Road.
A second passenger in the vehicle was injured. While the accident remains under investigation, it is an important reminder to talk to teen drivers about the dangers of Alabama roadways.
Nationwide, motor vehicle accidents are the leading cause of teenage deaths, according to the National Highway Traffic Association (NHTSA). Teens are in about three times as many fatal accidents as any other age groups.
Education about how to be a safe driver should start at home. It is important for parents to teach their teen drivers how to avoid accidents and how to be a cautious motorist. By implementing a set of driving rules for teens and being specific about the consequences of breaking those rules, teens are more likely to stay safe behind the wheel.
The NHTSA suggests the following sets of rules be placed by parents on their teenage drivers:
- The driver and all passengers of the vehicle must wear seatbelts at all times, no matter what.
- Cell phone use, including texting is strictly prohibited.
- Set an amount of people who are allowed to ride in the car while the teen is behind the wheel. Passengers often serve as the biggest distraction for teen drivers.
- Set a curfew for when your teenager must have the car home.
- Besides it being illegal for anyone under 21-years-old to consume alcohol, make sure that the teen is aware of the consequences and risks of drinking and driving.
At the Citrin Law Firm, we are dedicated to the safety of teen drivers. If your child was involved in a teen driver accident, you may be eligible to file a lawsuit to recover damages related to the collision.
For more information on the legal rights which may be available to teen driver accident victims, complete the Free Case Review form on the right to schedule a confidential, no-obligation consultation with a member of our legal team.
Contact Us, Andy is Ready to Win for You
OUR PROMISE TO OUR CLIENTS: YOU WON’T PAY A DIME UNTIL WE WIN
We Know How Stressful Serious Accidents Can Be
Our law firm supports its clients at every step of the way. We handle the details of your legal claims and make sure you have the information you need to make the best choice for your family and your future.
Getting Injured People the Help They Need After a Serious Accident