Car vs. Pedestrian AccidentsJuly 31, 2014
- 1. Statistics on Car vs. Pedestrian Accidents
- 2. Common Pedestrian Injuries
- 3. Contact a Mobile Pedestrian Accident Attorney
When a motor vehicle strikes a pedestrian, it can often result in death. At the very least a car vs. pedestrian accident can leave individuals with severe and life-altering injuries.
Each year, approximately 5,000 people are killed in pedestrian crashes and another 64,000 are injured in the United States.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a car vs. pedestrian accident, you may be eligible for financial and legal recourse. Contact an experienced Mobile personal injury attorney today to explore your legal options.
For additional information about car vs. truck accidents, fill out the Free Case Review form on this page.
Statistics on Car vs. Pedestrian Accidents
Listed below are some alarming statistics on car vs. pedestrian accidents based on research by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety:
- Between 1975 and 2005, more than 180,000 pedestrians were fatally injured in motor vehicle accidents.
- Each year, pedestrians account for 11 percent of all traffic fatalities.
- On average, a pedestrian is injured every eight minutes in a vehicle crash.
- Typically, pedestrian fatalities occur at higher rates in urban areas due to the increase in pedestrian activity.
- The majority of pedestrian crashes occur at locations other than intersections; this may due to the fact that drivers aren’t expecting pedestrians to be in the middle of the street.
- Senior adults are more likely to die in a pedestrian crash than any other age group; they make up 16 percent of all pedestrian fatalities.
Common Pedestrian Injuries
Speeding is a factor in one-third of all motor vehicle accidents. When pedestrians are involved in crashes, drivers traveling at high speeds are unable to stop their vehicles in time to avoid hitting a pedestrian. The faster a vehicle is moving before the impact of the crash, the higher the chances are that pedestrian will be severely injured.
Some common injuries sustained in a car vs. pedestrian accident include:
- Back and neck injuries
- Broken bones
- Spinal cord injuries
- Brain injuries
According to the NHTSA, only 40 percent of pedestrian injuries are caused by direct contact with a vehicle. The federal agency reports that 32 percent of the injuries are caused by contact with the ground and the other 26 percent are caused by contact with unknown objects.
Contact a Mobile Pedestrian Accident Attorney
Car vs. pedestrian accidents can have devastating effects on all parties involved. If you or a family member has suffered an injury from a pedestrian crash, you may have grounds for legal action. Contact an experienced Alabama pedestrian accident attorney to learn more about your legal rights.
The attorneys at the Citrin Law Firm have the knowledge and resources to successfully litigate pedestrian accident cases. Citrin Law Firm has 25 years of legal experience; over the past two decades our attorneys have helped injury victims obtain maximum compensation for their losses.
Our attorneys offer free case evaluations to injured individuals in Mobile, Baldwin County and the surrounding communities.
To receive a no obligation legal consultation, complete the contact form on the right.
Contact Us, Andy is Ready to Win for You
OUR PROMISE TO OUR CLIENTS: YOU WON’T PAY A DIME UNTIL WE WIN
We Know How Stressful Serious Accidents Can Be
Our law firm supports its clients at every step of the way. We handle the details of your legal claims and make sure you have the information you need to make the best choice for your family and your future.
Getting Injured People the Help They Need After a Serious Accident