The Citrin Safety Foundation, Inc. is a non-profit organization founded by Andy Citrin. In response to the number of auto accidents caused by distracted driving, Andy is dedicated to taking a proactive stance against distracted driving and its prevalence among young drivers by conducting “Alive at 25” seminars throughout the state of Alabama.
The Braden Bowers Story
Andy Citrin was inspired to start the foundation after representing the family of Braden Bowers. According to the foundation’s website, Braden Bowers was on his way to school when his life was taken by a distracted driver.
Bowers was a normal 18 year old in Baldwin County. He wasn’t drinking, texting or talking on his cell phone. The driver who crashed into his vehicle, however, was talking on his cell phone.
Statistics show that Alabama is ranked third nationally in traffic fatalities. Appalled by this statistic, Andy took it upon himself to begin educating the youth of Alabama through his “Alive at 25” seminars.
Citrin Safety Foundation’s Mission
It is the Foundation’s belief that safe driving is NO accident. Their mission is to educate the youth of Alabama about how they can make the daily choice to drive safely. Three principles underlie the Citrin Safety Foundation’s mission:
- All accidents are preventable when safety rules are followed.
- Repetition is the mother of all learning.
- Repeating basic safety rules will prevent fatal accidents.
Through the seminars, Andy teaches of The Seven Deadly Driving D.A.N.G.E.R.S.
No Seat Belts
Riding Bumpers (tailgating)
He teaches Alabama youth the following seven Safe Driving Defenses in order to combat these dangers.
- Distractions: Keep your eyes on the road and your hands on the wheel.
- Alcohol: Don’t drive impaired – “More than two and your driving’s through.”
- No seat belts: Buckle up!
- Groups: Limit teens to two passengers.
- Exhaustion: Don’t drive fatigued – If you’re too tired to study, you’re too tired to drive.
- Riding Bumpers: Maintain safe following distances – keep at least three seconds between you and other vehicles.
- Speed: Slow down! Speed is the number one cause of traffic fatalities. Every 10 mph over the speed limit doubles the chances of a fatality.
If you would like more information on the Citrin Safety Foundation and how you may be able to get involved in the Foundation’s efforts, visit www.citrinsafetyfoundation.org or complete the Free Case Review form on the right to contact Andy Citrin today.