Hurt by a Drunk Driver During the Holidays? Here’s What to DoNovember 13, 2020
- 1. Drive Sober During the Holidays
- 2. Hurt in a Crash With a Drunk Driver? Here’s What to Do Next
- 3. Drunk Driving Cases Are Unique. That’s Why You Need a Skilled Attorney on Your Side
- 4. Hurt in a Crash With a Drunk Driver? Don’t Wait to Contact the Andy Citrin Team
Every year, hundreds of people die in drunk driving accidents in Alabama, and a shocking number of them happen over the holidays. Over the Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year’s holidays in 2018, 27 people died due to drunk driving. That means that over a short, 13-day period, we suffered 14% of our state’s drunk driving deaths.
These deaths are senseless and preventable. In this blog, we’ll outline steps you can take to protect yourself from drunk driving accidents and the steps you can take if you or someone you love is involved in a crash.
Drive Sober During the Holidays
In Alabama, driving drunk during the holidays is all too common. STATS.
While defensive driving can’t prevent every crash, we encourage people to drive sober and stay on the lookout for drunk drivers. If you see someone driving their vehicle erratically, speeding, swerving, or going the wrong way down the road, call 911 immediately. Your prompt action could save lives.
When a drunk driver injures you or someone you love, you need to act quickly to protect yourself.
RELATED: Did a Drunk or Drugged Driver Cause Your Crash? Here’s What You Need to Know
Hurt in a Crash With a Drunk Driver? Here’s What to Do Next
The immediate aftermath of an accident can be terrifying for anyone involved. Despite the uncertainty, there are a few steps you can take to protect yourself, your family, and your case.
- Call 911, and make sure you tell the operator about everyone’s injuries and that you suspect drunk driving played a role in the accident. Police and toxicology reports will play an important role in your injury claim.
- Take photos of the crash scene if you can, including the damaged cars, the road, and your injuries.
- If there were witnesses and you are able, take down their contact information. Their testimony could help your case later.
- Get medical treatment, even if you think you only have minor injuries. What might seem like mild aches and pains could be early signs of a serious condition. Getting checked out by a medical professional is one way to avoid unnecessary pain, suffering, and cost down the road.
- Write down everything you can remember from the accident. These memories will fade over time. Writing everything down will help preserve your version of events.
- Keep a pain log if you’re injured. If you can’t work, need help around the house, or don’t get as much joy out of life, write it down. This journal will help the insurance company and your lawyer understand what you’re going through.
In addition to these steps, contacting a personal injury lawyer should be on your list of things to do after a crash. They can help you make sense of what happened, fight for your right to fair compensation, handle the paperwork, and make sure you have what you need to heal.
And when you work with an attorney from Andy Citrin Injury Attorneys, you can be sure you’re getting the highest level of representation. We have handled many drunk driving crash cases, are skilled at preserving vital evidence, and holding responsible parties accountable.
Drunk Driving Cases Are Unique. That’s Why You Need a Skilled Attorney on Your Side
Unfortunately, drunk driving cases are uniquely challenging. There are often multiple sources of negligence, meaning more than one person or party can be held accountable for your injuries and suffering. This includes bars and restaurants that knowingly over-serve their customers.
The drunk driver might also owe you punitive damages. Juries award these damages to punish a wrongdoer, rather than to compensate you for your losses. While punitive damages are relatively rare in personal injury claims, they are often awarded in severe drunk driving cases.
The Andy Citrin team has years of experience uncovering all the sources of negligence and holding the accountable parties responsible. For example, Ashley came to us after getting struck by a drunk driver while riding his motorcycle. The drunk driver fled the scene, but after tracking them down, we learned that they’d been over-served at two bars before nearly killing Ashley. Through tenacious representation and aggressive tactics, we got Ashley the settlement he deserved.
RELATED: Ashley’s Story: Motorcyclist Gets Results With Aggressive Representation
Hurt in a Crash With a Drunk Driver? Don’t Wait to Contact the Andy Citrin Team
If you or a loved one is suffering after a holiday crash with a drunk driver, don’t wait to get in touch with our team. We offer free, confidential consultations so you can understand your options and decide what to do next. To schedule time with one of our personal injury lawyers, contact us online or call our office at 251-888-8888.
We look forward to speaking with you!
Alabama Department of Transportation. (2019). 2018 Crash Facts. Retrieved from https://www.caps.ua.edu/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/CrashFacts_2018.pdf
The Sober Facts of Holiday Drinking and Driving. Elite Driving School. Retrieved from https://drivingschool.net/sober-facts-of-holiday-drinking-and-driving/
The content provided here is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject.
Contact Us, Andy is Ready to Win for You
OUR PROMISE TO OUR CLIENTS: YOU WON’T PAY A DIME UNTIL WE WIN
We Know How Stressful Serious Accidents Can Be
Our law firm supports its clients at every step of the way. We handle the details of your legal claims and make sure you have the information you need to make the best choice for your family and your future.
Getting Injured People the Help They Need After a Serious Accident