Experienced Mississippi Truck Accident Attorneys
Mississippi is known for its beautiful country roads, but they contain a dangerous and growing threat to those driving on them. According to the National Safety Council, big truck accidents occur most frequently on rural, non-interstate roadways.
A heavy-duty truck usually weighs over 33,000 lbs, which makes them much more lethal in the event of a collision.
Of the more than 5,000 fatal accidents with large trucks in 2019, the driver of the other, usually smaller, vehicle accounted for over 70% of those killed. Clearly, sharing the road with such massive hazards can be a perilous one, and it’s no surprise that wrecks happen.
If you have been injured, or a loved one killed, in an 18-wheeler accident, Andy Citrin Injury Attorneys is here to help. We have been dealing with the effects of semi-truck accidents in the state of Mississippi for more than three decades, and we’ll be there if it happens to you. Call our office in Pascagoula, and one of our dedicated legal team will review the details and give you a consultation at absolutely no cost to you.
Types of big truck, semi, and 18-wheeler accidents
In a legal sense, truck accidents involve at least one vehicle that is over 33,000 lbs, but that applies to many different body styles, from work vans to 18-wheelers. The differences in shape and size can lead to a variety of types of collisions when things go wrong that are unique to big trucks. Some of the most common are:
- Jackknifing: when a trailer being towed by a tractor swings widely to one side.
- Rollovers: when a truck, which has a higher center of mass, tips over on its side.
- Tire Blowouts: when one of the potentially eighteen tires comes loose from the truck and becomes a hazard to other motorists.
- Wide Turns: when a driver must swing the front of the truck out wide to make a turn in the opposite direction.
- Rear-End: when a large truck, which takes substantially longer to slow down, collides with a slower or stopped vehicle.
- Lost Load: when all or part of a truck’s cargo comes loose and can potentially collide with another automobile.
Due to the special nature of these kinds of accidents, it is a good idea to work with a personal injury attorney who has experience with large truck accidents. The lawyers at Andy Citrin have seen many different injuries result from many different kinds of truck crashes, so they know how to approach these particular cases.
What to do after you’ve been in a Mississippi truck accident
Any type of unexpected accident is shocking and traumatic, but when it happens with a 30,000 lb. tractor-trailer, the effects, and injuries, are magnified. Victims are usually frightened and confused and might not know what to do next. The main thing to keep in mind is your safety, so make sure you and any other people involved are out of the way of further harm. Once everyone is safe, here is a list of the best things you can do following an accident with a big truck:
- Call 911. Make sure that a police report is filed, and that you get a copy of it.
- Document the scene. Take pictures of the area, any damages, and your injuries.
- See your doctor. Get a medical examination to find any hidden injuries and to have a documented report of your physical damages.
- Save everything. Save your clothes, shoes, jewelry, etc from that day somewhere safe, as well as any paperwork, reports, or documentation you receive.
- Contact an experienced personal injury lawyer, like the ones at Andy Citrin Injury Attorneys. They will take all of your evidence into account and advise you on how to proceed.
Common Causes for Mississippi Truck Accidents
Being the victim of a truck accident is a very scary scenario. Oftentimes, you may feel lost and not know what to do after your accident. The Mississippi truck wreck lawyers at Andy Citrin Injury Attorneys will work tirelessly to ensure compensation is given to those affected by a big truck wreck. It is important you team up with an experienced attorney when dealing with a truck accident, as these big deal corporations will work to lessen the damages, giving you less repayment for your losses.
Truck drivers are oftentimes overworked, leading to an increased chance they will cause a potential accident on Mississippi roadways. Some potential causes of a big truck accident include:
- Driver fatigue: Caused by continuous driving with no rest
- Maintenance Negligence: Caused by failure to service vehicle
- Improper Cargo Management: Caused by overloading or improperly loading the truck with cargo
- Failure to follow traffic laws: Caused by speeding, distracted driving, poor road conditions, etc.
Knowing how to navigate the compensation process following a wreck can seem like a very daunting situation. Our car wreck lawyers know the hidden agendas of these big truck corporations, as they try to lessen the severity of damages in order to minimize the returns given back to you. Working with Andy Citrin Injury Attorneys will help in achieving the maximum returns for your losses. Why wait? Get help from one of our many Mississippi truck wreck lawyers today! Call our Biloxi office today and let Andy win for you!
What will a Mississippi Truck Accident Lawyer do for me?
Outside of keeping track of and meeting filing deadlines, personal injury lawyers are tasked with investigating your accident, compiling evidence, building a strong case, negotiating a settlement, or arguing for you in court, if necessary. Unless you are well versed in Mississippi law, their knowledge and experience can help ensure the success of your claim.
The dedicated team at Andy Citrin Injury Attorneys knows that there’s more to being someone’s lawyer than filing paperwork. We strive to be there for our clients when they need someone to lean on most. Not only can you rest assured we will stand up to the insurance companies on your behalf, but we’ll continue to be there for you when the dust settles and you are able to get back to your life.
We Can Help You – Contact our Mississippi Truck Accident Attorneys Today!
Mississippi has some of the most picturesque roads and highways in the nation, and Andy Citrin Injury Attorneys believe everyone should be able to use and enjoy them safely. But with more and more big trucks driving through the state, big truck accidents are an unfortunate consequence. We hope it never happens to you, but if it does, know that you are not alone.
Our team of personal injury lawyers is passionate about getting the victims of big-rig collisions the compensation they need and deserve. We have helped many people all over the great state of Mississippi, and we want to be there to help you and your family, too. Call 228-888-8888 to get in touch with our office in Pascagoula, and we will evaluate your case and give you a complimentary consultation about how we can help.
Frequently Asked Questions About Mississippi Truck Accidents
How long do I have to file my truck accident claim in Mississippi?
- 3 years from the date of the truck accident. This is the state statute of limitations for personal injury. Some exemptions apply when an injury develops later or if the victim was a minor at the time.
When should I call a Mississippi truck accident lawyer?
- As soon as you can. Not only will insurance companies likely bombard you with low-ball offers to try and get you to settle quickly, but they may try to trick you into doing or saying something to discredit a future claim. Make sure the first person you talk to about your accident is your attorney.
How much can I make a claim for after my Mississippi truck accident?
- It depends on the severity of the truck accident, how bad your injuries are, and who was at fault. In Mississippi, if it is shown that you were partly to blame for causing the accident, a corresponding percentage can be taken out of your final compensation. A good truck accident lawyer, like the ones at Andy Citrin Injury Attorneys will be able to build a strong case to ensure you get what is fair.