What Is My Alabama Personal Injury Claim Worth?April 09, 2019
- 1. How Damages Affect the Value of an Injury Claim in Alabama
- 2. Determining Fault Is Crucial for Your Alabama Injury Claim
- 3. Initial Consultations Are Free, and You Don’t Pay Unless We Win
After a catastrophic personal injury, the insurance company may present you with a “reasonable” settlement offer. While a quick payout may be tempting, especially if you’re struggling with unpaid bills, the insurance company’s offer may not reflect the true value of your injury claim.
In every personal injury case, two primary factors determine the worth of your claim: liability and damages. You must first determine if the defendant is legally responsible for your injury or loss. And then you need to assign a dollar value to the damages you suffered. This may sound relatively simple, but you’ll need to consider a variety of factors and Alabama law when evaluating your claim. That’s why you should always consult with an injury lawyer before accepting a settlement offer. They can help you determine what your case is worth.
The following article will take a closer look at Alabama personal injury law, the importance of hiring a skilled injury lawyer, and why Andy Citrin Injury Attorneys is the right choice if you want an Alabama attorney who will fight for your rights.
How Damages Affect the Value of an Injury Claim in Alabama
Damages are one of the most important factors in your personal injury case. In the context of a personal injury claim, your damages include your lost income, medical bills, pain and suffering, and other losses from the accident.
If you have been in a minor collision and just need to replace your bumper and a headlight, your case is not going to be worth much. On the other hand, if you have been in a serious vehicle wreck and your injuries require surgery, physical therapy, and modifications to your lifestyle, you may have a much more valuable injury claim.
You may think that damages such as past medical expenses and lost wages are easy to calculate. But what about the cost of future surgery? What if you can’t return to your job? What if your injury causes other issues later? Those costs are more difficult to figure out. And you may want to seek other damages for pain and suffering that are less easy to put a monetary value on.
In general, the greater the suffering and loss you have experienced, the higher your claim will be. The best way to learn how much your case is worth is to let an attorney and their staff do that hard work for you. They will carefully investigate your situation and consider factors such as:
- Seriousness of the Injury: For example, broken bones, head injuries, joint injuries, back injuries, or nerve damage are often more serious than sprains or bruises.
- Lost Income: Your injuries may limit your ability to work or reduce your wage earning capacity. If you are totally and permanently disabled, your claim will have a higher value.
- Medical Expenses Related to Treating the Injury: All medical expenses related to the treatment of your injury need to be included in your claim. Treatment by doctors, hospitals, or clinics as well as prescribed medications, physical therapy, and future costs will all be calculated. However, some expenses for diagnosis or treatment by non-medical providers might not be recoverable.
- Permanent Injury: Any lasting damage such as scarring or loss of mobility will increase the value of your claim.
- Physical or Emotional Distress: Pain and suffering related to the injury can include fear, depression, worry, grief, insomnia, and a wide variety of other issues that victims face after being injured or losing a loved one.
- Disruption of Normal Life: Effects on any activities such as school, training, hobbies, and vacations that have been interrupted due to the accident or injury can be assigned a monetary value.
- Insurance Coverage: Insurance policy limits will also impact your financial recovery. If an at-fault driver is underinsured, it may be difficult to recover all your damages.
Some people worry that pre-existing conditions will affect their personal injury lawsuit. But this is not true. If a car crash or other event makes your pre-existing conditions worse, you deserve compensation for that.
Big insurance companies will argue that your injuries are less severe and had less effects on your life to reduce the amount of damages related to your claim. They might even argue that your injuries don’t even exist. That’s one of the many reasons why you need an injury lawyer on your side.
Determining Fault Is Crucial for Your Alabama Injury Claim
All the damages and losses you’ve experienced mean nothing if you can’t fully establish the other person’s fault. Alabama has very strict shared fault laws. Shared fault, or “contributory negligence,” means that if a jury or insurance company finds that you are even 1% responsible for your accident and injury, you cannot receive compensation for your damages.
With so much at stake, it’s critical to hire an experienced Alabama attorney with a proven record of successfully standing up to insurance companies and taking personal injury lawsuits in front of juries. At Andy Citrin Injury Attorneys, our team has served Alabama clients for over 30 years.
We have recovered hundreds of millions of dollars for our clients in verdicts and settlements. Our Alabama injury lawyers handle all types of personal injury cases including vehicle wrecks, medical malpractice, dog bites, and more. We have the experience and the winning record you want fighting on your side.
Initial Consultations Are Free, and You Don’t Pay Unless We Win
Andy Citrin Injury Attorneys is dedicated to providing aggressive representation and getting our clients the compensation they deserve. If you have been injured or lost a loved one and it wasn’t your fault, call 251-888-8888 or complete our simple online form to schedule a free consultation. Our experienced lawyers will listen to your story, review the details of your personal injury case, and guide you towards the best decisions for your situation. Let us start helping you today.
We recognize that every case is unique, and we understand that suffering an injury can have devastating physical, emotional, and financial effects. Our knowledgeable, experienced injury lawyers are committed to fighting for the justice and compensation you deserve so you can focus on healing.
The content provided here is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject.
Contact Us, Andy is Ready to Win for You
OUR PROMISE TO OUR CLIENTS: YOU WON’T PAY A DIME UNTIL WE WIN
We Know How Stressful Serious Accidents Can Be
Our law firm supports its clients at every step of the way. We handle the details of your legal claims and make sure you have the information you need to make the best choice for your family and your future.
Getting Injured People the Help They Need After a Serious Accident